Wednesday, January 13, 2010

6. There's a Nightmare in My Closet


Title: There’s a Nightmare in My Closet
Author/Illustrator: Mercer Mayer
Publisher: Dial Books for Young Readers
Copyright Date: 1968
Number of Pages: 28
Reading Level: 7+
Genre: Fantasy

Summary
There is a boy who believes there is a Nightmare in his closet. He has to shut his closet door each night before going to sleep. Sometimes he’d be scared walking back to bed, but when in bed he would peek, but only sometimes. One night when being very brave he decided to be rid of his nightmare. The Nightmare crept toward him and he turned on the light and he shot the Nightmare. The Nightmare started to cry so the boy had to tuck him into bed so that he didn’t wake mommy and daddy. There were probably more in his closet but his bed wasn’t big enough.

Recommendation
I was always afraid of everything in my room at night so I think a lot of other people can relate to making up monsters under the bed or in the closet. It’s funny. I’d recommend this book to anyone and everyone.

Problems/Conflict

There was a gun involved but since it was a toy I don’t think its much of a controversial issue.

My Reaction
I’m still amazed at how simple the book is. I always thought it had more words but now realize there aren’t many words at all. This book has a simple message of fear and conquering it. I wonder how many kids try to sleep with their closet doors open after reading this book?

No comments:

Post a Comment