Monday, April 5, 2010

54. Madeline's Rescue


Title: Madeline’s Rescue
Author: Ludwig Bemelmans
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Copyright Date: 1951
Number of Pages: 47
Reading Level: 7+
Genre: Fiction/Picture Book

Summary
Twelve little girls in two straight lines went out for their usual walk. No one could scare Ms. Clavel like little Madeline. Madeline was walking on a wall on a bridge and suddenly fell into the water. If it weren’t for a great big dog that jumped in to pull her out, she would most likely be dead. The girls took Madeline and the dog home and helped to warm them both up. That night when out went the light Ms. Clavel felt that something was not right. She ran into the room of girls to find them fighting over where the dog should sleep. The dog was named Genevieve and she was loved by all the girls. She could sing, was a great speller and loved the daily walk. When the first of May came around everyone grew nervous for their routine inspection. When the inspection was nearly done Genevieve was found and immediately thrown out. The girls vow to find their Genevieve and they all set out to find her. They come home empty handed. That night Ms. Clavel thinks that something is not right and turns on the light. She sees Miss Genevieve outside standing in the lamp light. She was greeted with love and all the girls were tucked into bed. Again a fight broke out as to where the dog should sleep. Miss Clavel breaks up the fight and they all go to be. But for the third time she is awoken in the night. Now there is enough hound to go around because Genevieve has had puppies.

Recommendation
Madeline has the best stories. I think that little girls should read these books and have them read to them. No exceptions.

Problems/Conflict

No problems other than Madeline seems to always disobeying Ms. Clavel.

My Reaction
I found myself finishing the sentences of the first part of the book. I guess I used to be obsessed with Madeline and I’m pretty sure I had my mom read it to me many times. I think that it is funny that the girls are at all able to share Genevieve. I would have had a hard time sharing with eleven other girls who were the same age as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment