Monday, April 5, 2010

55. The Boardwalk Princess


Title: The Boardwalk Princess
Author: Arthur A. Levine
Illustrator: Susan Guevara
Publisher: Tambourine Books
Copyright Date: 1993
Number of Pages: 31
Reading Level: 8+
Genre: Fantasy/Fairy Tale

Summary
Myron and Sadie have special gifts. Myron can smell grand fabric from a great distance and Sadie can hear a good fabric. They made beautiful clothes together. But they were watched over by a witch that had taken them in when they were young and orphans. She made them work endlessly and tirelessly. She sold their beautiful creations at extravagant prices and got rich. Finally Myron and Sadie decided not to take anymore. They packed up and ran away one night. While they were running away Myron got thirsty and saw a fountain. Sadie had to stop him because she could hear the witch’s potion gurgling in the fountain. He came to another fountain and tried to drink again but Sadie stopped him again. Finally a fire hydrant had been opened and Myron could stand it no longer. Suddenly he turned into a mouse! Sadie took him with her and she made him and pigeons clothes. One day a handsome man came with a group of people and Myron could smell his expensive clothes so he went for a closer look. A big black dog lunged at him and he escaped just in time. The handsome man saw Sadie and said that he could help her. Eventually they announced their wedding. The old witch heard this and devised an evil plan. She took the place of Sadie’s maid. Myron smelt the old hag and came running. He jumped at the witch and they fell into the tub with the potion. The witch disappeared and Myron turned back into a man. Myron was their best man and the wedding dress was magic.

Recommendation
I would recommend this to be read to mostly girls but I think boys would enjoy it too.

Problems/Conflict

I wonder what happens to the witch?

My Reaction
My mom bought this book for me when I was younger and now its one of my favorite. I just love that it is a rags to riches story but I of course am more partial to the love story. I always stare at the dress whenever I finish the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment